Thursday, August 26, 2010

My first miniature painting - Warriors of Chaos Regiment


So I began my painting game, this is the first two sets I have got. I felt a bit overwhelming when I unbox it and saw that everything is in grey, lots and lots of small parts, and the metal one was also a bit off putitng as some of its pointy bits are bent.

anyway, didn't do much on the first night as I still haven't got the boxes to contain all the tools and paints. Paints included the start up cost me about HKD1k



First step is to 'prime' the figures, I did this my idly painting all of them in black, that turned out to be a mistake as for some of the parts that I want to paint with light color, black base is very hard to cover up. Then I started to think of how to make them look like metal and look more realistic. Turns out that I can paint the edges in silver, casually and crudely so it looks as though they had been through battles. I did that lightly for this one and took me a long while. As I went on it became much easier.





So this was my first failed attempt. The intent was to make 2 white units but I ended up learned that it's very hard to use pure white. From then on I didn't use pure white at all and won't prime the white parts with black. I ended up wasted a lot of time washing the paint off these guys. Turn out that alcohol works. Also I now only very light grey by mixing grey with white. I think it's the white paint's fault, for the large part at least.



This is the fist guy that I had completed, it was fun seeing it in full color.


This is the second guy that I made. Back then it seems to me that making the cape entirely white is simple impossible at my skill level, so I made it looks like an oil cloth. The hardest part is to make the brown color and to paint the claw at the chest.


The flag was easy as I had learned much from trying to paint the capes in white, so this time around I just give up on white and mixed a light grey. Back then no one told me that actually the white paint was either 'washed' on or layers or very light grey. So that is the first set of guys with a leader.




3 comments:

  1. Oooo! That is going to be so much fun! I highly recommend that you get a lamp that has a magnifying glass in it, because after a while, your eyes are going to hate you!

    I can't wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually they are all done already ^^
    you'd see them very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel I'd take your advice on getting the lamp and magnifying glass, my eyes are already hating me ...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...