Friday, December 19, 2014

Vallejo - chipping medium (part 2), step by step with acrylic top coat

Hi everyone,

So it appears that product based or brand based posts attract a lot of hits, so to get more hits I will try to do more of these step by step - not that I am good enough to do instructions of how to use a product, but I think it would be useful for people who are considering getting their hands on these products.

Enjoy.

Camera specificaiton: LG G3 Rear Camera, 13mb pix


Step 1 : Buy it

Jumping a head here, the 17ml bottle goes for about USD5 is well worth the price.  Very easy to use and easy to control, a lot easier than salting.  One try of this could give you a very good idea on how it works.  I recommend using air-brush to apply the medium, but if you don't have an air-brush, just remember to keep it thin when you are applying it.  (Remember to use a clean brush though.)

Simple step to use this is:
- paint the surface to make it look like rusted metal
- apply medium
- paint the top coat
- apply water so that the medium will melt away
- chip the top coat with tissue paper or cotton tip

AV (Vallejo)
Chipping Medium
17m

Step 2: build your model

It's very hard to get plastic model kits to match with my 30mm miniatures: the size never really quite match.  Plus, it's very expensive to get accessories that are designed for 30mm, besides, each manufacturer made their miniatures a little different anyway.  1:35 or 1:48 is pretty much the closest, cheapest models that I can find.  This kit was meant for populating transport vehicles, and I bought it for my Zombicide game to be used as objectives.

Tamiya
Allied Vehicles Accessory Set

Step 3: prime it

Again on the topic of going cheap, the spray on primer from Mr Hobby is cheaper than the one form Tamiya.  Plus, I had some bad experience with Tamiya primer: the result is too rough, not smooth and a lot of small grins on the surface.  

Mr. Hobby
Mr. Primer Surfacer 1000
 170ml Spray 

Step 4: base rusted metal color

The idea of chipping is to chip away the top coat of paint to reveal the metal underneath. Rusting, therefore should come after the metal is revealed and after long exposure to air and moist .

http://www.corrosionist.com/what_causes_rust.htm

But to save time, I painted the whole thing brown and applied a lot of pigment to place that I think should rust easier: edges, middle of larger surfaces.  I was rushing a little so this isn't too well done.

Secret Weapon Wash
Vallejo Pigment


Step 4: apply the medium

Because I am not sure if these are easier to wash off, I used brush to apply the medium.  In hindsight, I could have used air-brush for this.


See actually I applied a lot of the medium on the surface, at some parts they are more like a droplet on the surface, forming a little pond.



Step 5: apply the top coat

I used water based acrylic paint because I fear that the alcohol based paint will melt away the medium.  I'd try alcohol based paint next time.

Anyway, after the medium is completely dry I air-brushed on the top coat.  Remember, it has to be VERY dry before applying the top coat.  Haven't done a good job at this because I don't use these paint for air brushing at all: they dry too slow...

Citadel
Foundation
Knarloc Green
Step 6: apply water

I basically just dripped water over it, but I applied very thick layer of medium so so it washed away quite a lot of the top coat.  The best thing about this is that you can get chipping with sharp edges.




And the best bit is that the chipping could happen in tiny portions, see the edge of the letters on the top of the barrel.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...